Today at Mother/Gamer/Writer, please welcome featured author KaSonndra Leigh and the first novel in her new adult series, Hacienda Moon. KaSonndra as you may recall, is also the author of the young adult series, When Copper Suns Fall. Now’s she’s back and has handcrafted a sensual story of love, mystery and betrayal set in a southern town deep in the heart of good old North Carolina (*whoot whoot*). And lucky for us, I was able to sit down and chat with some friendly – and some crazy – ghostly character from Hacienda Moon who were more than eager to share their story. So check out my review and awesome interview with the residents of Chelby Rose and Castle Hayne. And as always, don’t forget to add this beautiful romantic mystery to your shelf on Goodreads.
- Title: Hacienda Moon
- ISBN-10: 0615668232
- ISBN-13: 978-0615668239
- Publisher: TriGate Press
- Publication Date: July 28, 2012
- Paperback: 346 pages
- Find It: Goodreads / Amazon
Love, obsession, and betrayal, the most powerful human emotions, are spun together in this gothic novel. Tandie Harrison is a police medium who has just suffered a divorce after losing both her psychic visions and her daughter in a car accident. When she leaves New York City to start a new life near her hometown, she moves into the alluring plantation house, Chelby Rose, and falls for its charismatic caretaker, Eric Fontalvo. Their burgeoning affair ignites a centuries old curse, ensnaring them in a web of danger, deceit, and intrigue. Soon Tandie learns that in placid Bolivia, the worlds of the living and the dead are dangerously connected.
Hacienda Moon is a seductive tale of one woman’s journey to confront the demons of her past and find the courage to face her future. It is a mesmerizing novel that explores the deepest depths of human nature, and the characters will hold and haunt you long after you have read the final chapter.
Well after having collected myself from being scared to sleep with my lights off for the past week, I can honestly say…I LOVED THIS BOOK.
When I first began reading Hacienda Moon, I was almost certain I was not going to like it, and positively certain I was NOT going to love it. This story began very tragic, and I couldn’t wrap my head around the idea of it redeeming itself from a beginning that shattered my heart. However, yes there is but, once I began flipping pages and sinking my teeth into the mystery of Chelby Rose, Hacienda Moon began to twine itself around me, sprout roots and grow. And grow. And grow. And grow into a beautifully woven story I couldn’t put down. Needless to say, I am very glad the heartbreaking beginning didn’t stop me from discovering and loving this hauntingly enchanting novel.
Our story is centered around Tandie, a young woman with a powerful gift, psychic visions. After the tragic death of her daughter, Tandie’s visions disappear, and with nothing else to do, she decides to move back to her hometown. Once there, she becomes the tenant of a strange old house known as, Chelby Rose. From here, we are taken on an unpredictable Gothic journey of loss, sacrifice, deception, and most importantly, love.
Throughout the majority of the novel, my heart was thrashing around in my chest in sheer anticipation of what was going to transpire next. Honestly, I was all over the place trying to predict where KaSonndra was going to toss my emotions. Should I laugh? Should I cry? Should I hide up under the covers like a crazy person? I believe she truly hits on every chord, from happy, to devastated, angry and fearful. And adding two delectable southern gentlemen to the mix was just the icing on the cake. Eric oh Eric, please come do some repairs on MY house.
Overall, with an evil grin and diabolical laughter, I highly recommend Hacienda Moon to anyone looking to add a little mystery to their romance. It will make you smile, laugh, and possibly scare you out of sleeping. But I promise, once you get over the hump that is the tragic beginning, you will fall in love with Tandie, Eric and all the ghosts of Castle Hayne and Chelby Rose.
5 out of 5 Controllers
1. Welcome Ghosts of Castle Hayne and Chelby Rose, for those readers who have yet to hear your story can you give your names and a little bit about yourselves?
Young Girl Ghost: Sure my name is Eliza Chelby and those are my two brothers, Sammy and Joseph. They are mean to me. Well, at least one of them is, anyway.
Joseph: No, I am not. You’re just saying that because you’re a girl. And you’re a baby, too. (he smirks)
Sammy: **sighs** Please stop fighting and listen to the nice lady. My name is Samuel and I recently celebrated my 10th birthday.
Eliza (aka, young girl ghost): I’m 9. Mama says I’m a big girl now.
Joseph: **shakes his head** I’m the eldest out of these two. Well, besides my papa. I keep my brothers and sisters straight. **sits up tall and proudly**
2. What is it like living in the space between life and death?
Eliza: So scary and different. I can walk through doors though. **beams a smile**
Joseph: Only a girl would say something so silly. It’s fun for Sammy and me. We get to scare all of the new people who move into the house. **grins and looks at his brother**
Sammy: Silence. He only shrugs and sighs.
All three child ghosts scurry away and fade into the walls when the next spirit appears.
3. Ella, you were always spotted pruning the rose bushes outside of Chelby Rose. Why are you so fascinated with those roses?
Eliza: That’s right, you spoiled little things. Run before I send the grandmother after ya with her switch. **clears her throat, looks at me, and smiles brightly** What proper young lady is not fascinated by roses? You’re a lady. Do you not find them intriguing? Besides, the lady of the house told me to take care of them. So that is what I’m gonna do. **lifts her chin like a proud southern lady**
4. Mary Jean Cropsey, was the curse worth the many lives it claimed? If you could would you go back and do things differently?
Damn right, it was. **her chest rises she breathes heavily** Those Chelby’s deserved what they got. I won’t change nothin’, not one thing. **cuts her eyes to the right as Alice Chelby’s ghost appears**
5. Alice, we were never exactly told anything about your son and his life after your passing. Were you watching over him after the Atwater’s took him in?
**glares at Mary Jean and Ella’s spirits as they scoff and fade out of the room**
Now, I may speak openly with you. My son grew up to be a fine southern gentleman with the help of the Atwaters. He even began a turpentine business that carried over well into your times. I watched over him then, as I do now. Thank you.
6. Eliza and Joseph drift back in without Sammy. Chelby Rose Children who haunted the upstairs bedroom, why were you so afraid of your grandmother?
**Joseph’s eyes stretch wide** Have you ever seen grandmother’s switch? It’s as wide as a leech.
**Eliza sighs and rolls her eye** Boys. Always exaggerating and being boys.
7. Who was hiding all the missing pages of Tandie’s novel? Stand up…err…or float forward. I know one, or more of you are the culprits.
Joseph: What are you saying? I didn’t do it. I swear. **Cuts his eyes over to Eliza**
Eliza: Shhhh. It’s a secret. We cannot say at this time.
Alice: Children, grandmother is not so bad.
Joseph: She is so. I still have the welts to prove it. **lifts his pant leg to show red marks**
8. Will any of you be returning for the second novel?
Eliza: My brothers and I are all at peace. But who knows what those bad women left behind. **she shivers**
Alice: Of course, given my story, and who I truly am, then you should know the answer to that question.
9. Lastly, and you all give us hints as to what we will see in The Emerald Isle?
Alice: More romance, more ghostly adventures, and an even stranger location. After all, I’ve waited 300 years to be reunited with the man I love. What would you do after waiting that long? **a mischievous, happy smile crosses her face**
10. Is the curse truly broken? Is everyone at peace?
Alice: The End was only the beginning. **she gives me a sad smile and starts to fade away**
Find Out More About Hacienda Moon and These Zany Ghosts At These Locations:
Author website: http://www.kasonndraleigh.com
Purchase Hacienda Moon at: http://www.amazon.com/Hacienda-Moon-Path-Seekers-ebook/dp/B008QAY0BQ
If You Missed It:
- Night Huntress Series Read-a-Long Discussion #2: HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE Ch. 8 -14
- Simplify Your Shelves: Prepare for The New Releases of 2013 & The Next Generation of Gaming
- ARC Review: Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2) by Katie McGarry
- E3 2013: What to Expect or Hope For From This Year’s Show
- Digital Comic Books Give Fans a New and Exciting Experience
© 2012 – 2013, Diayll – MotherGamerWriter. All rights reserved.
Latest posts by Diayll – MotherGamerWriter (Posts)
- Night Huntress Series Read-a-Long Discussion #2: HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE Ch. 8 -14 – May 18, 2013
- Simplify Your Shelves: Prepare for The New Releases of 2013 & The Next Generation of Gaming – May 17, 2013
- ARC Review: Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2) by Katie McGarry – May 16, 2013
- E3 2013: What to Expect or Hope For From This Year’s Show – May 15, 2013
- Digital Comic Books Give Fans a New and Exciting Experience – May 15, 2013