Hello everyone and welcome back for another feature of The Indie Spotlight, an author interview with the lovely Dana Michelle Burnett. Today we will be discussing her life as a writer and diving a little bit deeper into her eerie novel Spiritus. Dana is also kind enough to give us a glimpse at what we can expect to see from Becca and Alastor in the sequel, Haunted.
If you have missed any of our previous Indie Spotlight posts featuring Dana, you can find them all HERE. And don’t forget, at the end of the week there will be a MASSIVE giveaway with 5 copies of Spiritus.
Thanks and enjoy…
1. Welcome Dana to Mother/Gamer/Writer. For those readers who don’t know you can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Well, I am a writer, a dreamer, and the proud dance mom to an eight year old daughter. My writing has appeared in my local newspaper, Foliate Oak, Mobius, and Mindprints: A Literary Journal.
2. What inspired you to write a romance with a ghost as the main character?
I have always loved the idea of a love that lives even beyond death. Also, living in the Corydon area, I am constantly surrounded by the past. To me, having a character from another time wasn’t that much of a stretch.
3. Do you have a writing ritual, or any odd writing habits?
As a former smoker, I keep pencils to chew on nearby anytime that I am writing. I also tend to think out loud, which is fine at home, but if I’m at McDonald’s I get some strange looks. My daughter is used to it and just leans over and reminds me that I’m “doing it again.”
4. The cover is absolutely amazing! It’s simple, yet there is so much behind those crystal blue eyes. Is the cover taken from a particular scene in the book?
Thanks! I’m really proud of it. There is one scene in the novel where Alastor lifts Becca into the air without actually appearing for her. I wanted to reflect the agony of the characters in not being able to have a physical relationship, but at the same time they can experience something entirely different.
5. I was completely blown away by the fact you made the intimate scenes between Alastor and Becca work despite the fact that he was a ghost. Was it difficult to write about characters that could not physically touch each other?
It was hard because all of their emotion had to come through in their dialog, but to me it made their relationship so much more intense. The frustration of the physical challenges became part of their characters and it plays a very big role in the next book.
6. Haunted will be the sequel to Spiritus. Can you give us a little hint as to what we can expect to see from our favorite characters?
Haunted will be slightly darker than Spiritus as Becca matures and begins to see the limitations in this sort of relationship. Alastor, on the other hand, shows that to truly love someone means that you might have to sacrifice your own happiness for theirs. Still, don’t look for him to go away, Alastor doesn’t give up that easily. I think the big treat will be a deeper glimpse into Becca’s former life as Alastor’s wife and the things that drove her actions.
7. What is one thing you cannot live without?
I love my coffee! No one speaks to me until I’ve had at least one cup of coffee. I guess I’m just a caffeine junkie because as the day progresses I move from coffee to orange soda and then sweet tea. So I guess the real thing that I can’t live without is caffeine.
8. What’s currently on your mp3 player?
I always listen to music during the writing process and tend to select songs to fit the mood. For example, for Spiritus I listened to Lita Ford and Ozzy (which is actually quoted in the opening pages), George Michael’s Freedom, and Lady GaGa. Now that I’m working on Haunted, it’s P!nk, Katy Perry, and again Lady GaGa.
9. Any last words for adoring fans and readers who have yet to pick up your book?
If a reader is a fan of paranormal romance, I think they will like Spiritus. It’s a change from the entire vampire and werewolf thing. I read somewhere that ghosts were the new vampires, but that’s really up to the readers.
To Find Out More Visit:
Website: www.DanaMichelleBurnett.com (I’ll be offering a prequel exclusively to newsletter subscribers soon)
Amazon: Link to Purchase
Barnes and Noble: Link to Purchase
Goodreads: Book Page
Facebook: Fan Page
Twitter: Tweet Dana
If you are an author and want to be featured int The Indie Spotlight, please visit THIS PAGE.
© 2011, Diayll – MotherGamerWriter. All rights reserved.
Latest posts by Diayll – MotherGamerWriter (Posts)
- Blog Tour Review, Guest Post and Giveaway: Drowning In You by Rebecca Berto – May 20, 2013
- Night Huntress Series Read-a-Long Discussion #2: HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE Ch. 8 -14 – May 18, 2013
- Simplify Your Shelves: Prepare for The New Releases of 2013 & The Next Generation of Gaming – May 17, 2013
- ARC Review: Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2) by Katie McGarry – May 16, 2013
- E3 2013: What to Expect or Hope For From This Year’s Show – May 15, 2013