The other day I was browsing around on an author’s website and stumbled upon her response to fan questions. In one of her responses she explained her writing process and how she is able to write 2 to 3 chapters daily, revise and edit those chapters, and complete the entire novel in less than 3 months. In the back of my mind I was thinking “is that normal, can I do that, or will I ever get to that point?”
I am a mother of an 18 month old, work a full-time job, and have daily responsibilities that do not allow me to write (what I think is) enough every day. I do most of my writing on the weekends (producing usually 2 or 3 chapters) and after 9:30 pm, writing maybe 500 to 800+ words if I am willing to stay awake past 12. I know everyone’s situation is different, but I think realistically I will not be working at her speed for a while.
I am interested to hear from other writer, both novice and seasoned, how long it takes you to produce a rough draft of your novel. Also,
1. How many words do you write daily?
2. What are some strategies that you have in place to allow you to write daily? Or do you even write daily?
3. What advice can you give to new authors on time management and prioritizing?
4. What kind of work environment do you prefer? (I am the type of person that needs constant background noise, so usually I have the TV on very low, preferably on Golden Girls)
Any comments would be greatly appreciated, I think the answers will not only be beneficial to me but to other newbie’s as well!
© 2011, Mother/Gamer/Writer. All rights reserved.
Latest posts by Diayll - MotherGamerWriter (Posts)
- Waiting on Wednesday #66: Scarlett Undercover by Jennifer Latham #Diversity - October 1, 2014
- Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel Challenge 2014: Oct-Dec Link Up & Giveaway - October 1, 2014
- Loot Crate Unboxing September 2014 Review: Galactic Theme + Coupon Code - September 30, 2014
- Nerd Block Review – September 2014: Guardians and TMNT! - September 30, 2014
- Larissa Ione Interview + #Giveaway and Review! - September 29, 2014