The other day I was browsing around on an author’s website and stumbled upon her response to fan questions. In one of her responses she explained her writing process and how she is able to write 2 to 3 chapters daily, revise and edit those chapters, and complete the entire novel in less than 3 months. In the back of my mind I was thinking “is that normal, can I do that, or will I ever get to that point?”
I am a mother of an 18 month old, work a full-time job, and have daily responsibilities that do not allow me to write (what I think is) enough every day. I do most of my writing on the weekends (producing usually 2 or 3 chapters) and after 9:30 pm, writing maybe 500 to 800+ words if I am willing to stay awake past 12. I know everyone’s situation is different, but I think realistically I will not be working at her speed for a while.
I am interested to hear from other writer, both novice and seasoned, how long it takes you to produce a rough draft of your novel. Also,
1. How many words do you write daily?
2. What are some strategies that you have in place to allow you to write daily? Or do you even write daily?
3. What advice can you give to new authors on time management and prioritizing?
4. What kind of work environment do you prefer? (I am the type of person that needs constant background noise, so usually I have the TV on very low, preferably on Golden Girls)
Any comments would be greatly appreciated, I think the answers will not only be beneficial to me but to other newbie’s as well!
© 2011, Mother/Gamer/Writer. All rights reserved.
Latest posts by Diayll - MotherGamerWriter (Posts)
- #LootCrate Unboxing February 2014 -Warriors: Frederator Studios Edition + Coupon - February 26, 2014
- ARC Middle Grade Review: A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd - February 25, 2014
- Featured – Blades of the Old Empire: Interview With Author Anna Kashina - February 23, 2014
- Around The Community: Fantastic Four, Games of Thrones, Cover Reveals and More! - February 20, 2014
- Unboxing: #Influenster J’adore VoxBox - February 19, 2014