Night Huntress Series Read-a-Long Discussion #19: THIS SIDE OF THE GRAVE Ch. 30 – The End
Welcome to another Night Huntress Series Read-a-Long Discussion Post. Today we’re chatting it up about the final chapters of THIS SIDE OF THE GRAVE. This is not the sign-up post; however, we’d love for you to join us. You can find all the information on how to sign-up on the Night Huntress Read-a-Long Announcement Page.
Our Rambling Thoughts on Chapters 30 – The End:
Hi everybody! Welcome to the final discussion for This Side of the Grave! Thanks again to Diayll and Heather for letting me join in and forcing you all to listen to my randomness!
Ok to start off, Justina actually raised herself up A LOT in my eyes. She actually used her ‘evil’ vampire blood to help keep Don alive! She went against direct orders, plus her vampire powers were used for something besides killing. She actually showed she has a heart!
I can’t believe Tate actually supports Don’s DNR. I mean I can believe it, but at the same time he actually punished Justina for going against orders. That and he seems to be getting over his Bones and Cat issues. I really didn’t see that one coming, at least not this soon.
As for Don dying, so not fair! I know, I know, not all characters can live forever. That would start to ruin the story, but still, I didn’t want to see Don die.
That being said I am starting to wonder why Cat keeps ‘seeing’ him out of the corner of her eye….
Could he be a ghost??? Could he still be around despite his DNR wishes??? (Remember I am writing this as I read…)
To all those who have read the spinoff books: Does Timmy’s friend Nadia have her own book too?
Now I have some issues with how there are other books that are spin offs from these that keep being referred back to in parts of the book. I don’t mind that there are other books, but there seem to be parts that are kinda important to this story that we don’t get all the background on because we haven’t read the spin offs. One of those that bothered me in the final chapters is the vampire Law Guardian, Veritas. I don’t know if there is a back story in one of the spin offs or not. To those who have read them, is there more info in the other books? Also in the beginning of the book there is this issue that they don’t want anyone finding out about Denise. But here she is helping them alongside Veritas. So does the Law Guardian know about her, or what?
Ha! I was right! I knew Marie was manipulating the situation with Cat and getting her to drink her blood! I so knew that not only was she looking for a way to help Cat and at the same time had her own secret plans!!
Overall I liked this book. I’ve liked all of them so far, even if I sometimes got annoyed by some of the stuff the writer had Cat doing. Also the way the spinoffs are just referred back to…yes the book still is basically a stand alone, but near the end I felt like I really needed to read them or I would be missing out on some important back stories. Also there was the whole red herring of Cat being able to call on the Remnants. I really thought they would have more to do with the final battle. I’m not disappointed, per say, that they didn’t, but it was something I had kinda thought was going to happen.
Thanks for sticking around for all the books so far! Can’t wait to see what happens in the next book!
Pop Quiz: Guess Whats Wrong With This Pic!!!
I’ve been absent the last few weeks and I offer my apologies. Sometimes life just takes over, but I got caught up this week and finished the book. I might accidently point out something from one of the other weeks, and if so, again, I apologize.
• Don died.
• Tate’s not such a tough guy.
• Bones is still hot
• OMG Cat didn’t &^%$ anything up!
• Apollyon is a pussy
• Vlad almost scares me, but I love how he pushes Cat.
• Mentos is a bit too all knowing and I liked the exchange between him and Vlad.
• Timmie’s girl left him for another girl … poor bloke
• Voodoo Queen well, she’s just a bigger Queen now
• Don is a ghost …?
Out of everything that went down, who else saw that ending coming?
I’m a bit speechless. The wow factor was nice, but I expected more out the ghouls. The whole book, I don’t know. It felt like too much talk and not enough stabby or something. But I liked the end, from the joking to Don.
Sometimes you read a book, and you can’t quite place your finger on it. It wasn’t bad by any means, but it … yeah that’s how I felt about this one. Maybe it was the lack of tension between Cat and Bones. They were separated, but we didn’t get too see much action. Lots of fade to black. I don’t know about y’all, but I want to see the sparks flying, beds breaking, and all that jazz. I miss that.
This book is a stretch to 4 stars, I’m really at a 3.5 for this book, and a 4 for the series.
“Some things are more important than orders.” -Cat Pg. 292
We Have Much To Discuss!! 😀
- Even though I understood that Tate is honoring Don’s final wishes, what do you think? Would you do the same in his position?
- What did you think about how Cat kept seeing Don out of the corner of her eye after he died? (Before you got to the end of the book.)
- There’s a scene where Kira and Mencheres come to discuss the whole Apollyon issue at Cat and Bones’s house. In the middle of the scene Mencheres seems to be getting ready to get it on with Kira. I know Vampires are supposed to have different sexual outlooks than humans, but really? I thought he was a billion years old, no that doesn’t mean he is dead, but maybe he would have a bit more self control than some horny teenager. Especially under the circumstances. What’s your take on it?
- What did you think of them working with the Law Guardian?
- How do you feel about how Frost kept Don in the series?
- What were you overall thoughts and general feeling about this book in the series? Are you looking forward to the next book?
- What were your favorite quotes?
- What were your favorite scenes?
- How would you rate This Side of The Grave? The Series so far?
Remember you don’t have to answer all the questions. These are just some areas we found interesting while reading and thought they’d make a good point of reference if you aren’t sure what you’d like to discuss. #CatBonesRA on Twitter and Facebook!
HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE Recap:
ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE Recap:
AT GRAVE’S END Recap:
DESTINED FOR AN EARLY GRAVE Recap:
THIS SIDE OF THE GRAVE:
The Schedule for October: ONE GRAVE AT A TIME